Dorchen Leidholdt, “When Women Defend Pornography”
*epic eye roll*
It’s one of the least taboo things in the world to wonder if, why, and how it is kinksters and kinky sex workers in particular are fucked up. We get asked about it constantly. But let me go ahead and answer your boring-ass questions anyway:
1. Where do these sadistic and masochistic fantasies come from? I’m going to assume you’re using ‘sadistic and masochistic’ to mean ‘kinky’. There is no one answer, but the explanation with the most scientific evidence is that sexual preference is caused by a combination of psycho-sociological factors that vary person to person. For me personally the answer includes systemic injustice and interpersonal abuse. For others it doesn’t. For example, most masochists simply process sensation differently, neurologically and/or psychologically. That is, they do not experience what you would call ‘pain’ to be painful the way you assume.
2. To borrow from Simone de Beauvoir, are they born or are they made? They’re probably made, not born. You know, like most of the rest of our preferences.
3. Are they really agents of our liberation? Sexual preferences— kinky or otherwise— are not themselves ’agents of liberation’, but having satisfying consensual sex without shame is very much a necessary component of liberation.
4. If we are aroused by them, does it automatically follow that we are empowered by them? No.
5. Is it any surprise that it is often force that we eroticize? No, of course not.
Now I have some questions for you: What’s your point? Do you think kinksters aren’t having these conversations? Do you think sex workers and porn performers in particular aren’t having these conversations? Would you like us to walk around with cards saying ‘I recognize my sexuality and/or job is not in and of itself a radical thing’ to hand out to concerned vanilla feminists? If not, at what point are we allowed to stop explaining ourselves to you? Have you tried reading anything by sex radical feminists or kinky feminists or sex working feminists? Can you stop acting like you’re intersting and new and write about your own fantasies and jobs please?
Those were mostly rhetorical. The correct answer to all of them is for you to fuck off.(via loriadorable)